Day 43 - San Elijo State Beach to United States / Mexico Border - July 25, 2015

End of the Road - U.S. / Mexico Border

Today we all left camp at the same time. I think that there was a sense of togetherness on our final day of cycling. We ate breakfast at a local cafe and hit the road for a long day in the saddle.

The Morning After
Everyone had the Same Idea
We encountered several climbs before noon. The heat came on more quickly than I would have liked. Later, the breeze picked up, cooling and pushing us along at the same time. We moved through detailed bicycle maps in rapid succession. I counted them down, not really wanting the tour to end.

Crowds
Boarding
Neatly Packed

Nearing the border, we rolled past horse ranches as the heavy fences began to appear in the distance. I started to slow, taking it all in. Finally, I cycled up a short hill overlooking the ocean. The fence extended out into the water. An official in a border security truck stared out at the sea, intently watching for swimmers trying to cross the boundary. Looking up, I watched gulls freely surfing the sky.


For years, I've wanted to cycle the U. S. Pacific coast. I knew that this ride, like any grand adventure, would allow me to gain new perspectives unattainable by other means. I am certainly better for the experience.


Right now, I'm in the process of reflecting on this tour. In time, I will start narrowing the choices for my next extended adventure. I look forward to this.

Watching
Color Scheme

Writing about this trip has been a tool for reflecting on life in the moment. In the future, I will undoubtedly find it interesting to look back and, in a small way, relive the ride. I may also get a small glimpse at who I was while pedaling down the Pacific.

No comments:

Post a Comment